In Nigeria, physical debit and credit cards are easy to get and very useful for physical transactions but they don’t respond so well to an online purchase as often times these cards are rejected.
Online purchases on Amazon and other eCommerce websites are usually not easily done with a physical debit or credit card and as such that has left many frustrated. The emergence of a virtual card, however, has brought a solution to this problem.
What is a virtual card? This is a digital card that cannot be touched physically but possesses all the traits of a physical card. It has its unique 16 digits alongside the 3 digits CVV which enables an online transaction. It is encrypted and secured to use.
This virtual card is stored in your digital wallet and can be used to purchase an online product, subscribe to Netflix, pay for social media ads, and lots more. This card is convenient to use as you don’t need to carry it about physically and risk losing it. Rather it is stored in the digital wallet which is found in your phone.
As expected, there are lots of virtual card providers but there are providers which give the best services and are highly recommended to you. These providers have optimal security and give top-notch customer service.
In this article, we will be taking a look at the best virtual card providers which are accessible in Nigeria. Stay glued to your screen as you learn about the solution to an easy online transaction.
Mintyn which was formerly known as Mint digital bank is an online banking platform that performs the services of a local bank. Mintyn is a product of the Microfinance Bank and offers services like savings, purchases, investments, and lots more. It makes online transaction easy and convenient for users.
They also issue virtual Dollar cards that can be activated immediately to the Tier 3 account holders. This card can be used to send and receive money, and make payments on platforms like Amazon, eBay, Facebook, Twitter, WordPress, etc.
- Go to Google Play Store or Apple Store to download the Mintyn app
- Enter the required information correctly and create an account
- Put a special password that you can recall
- Enter the verification code sent to your phone for account verification
- Open the homepage then you select “Create a Card”
- Tap on the “Virtual Dollar Card “
- Follow the instructions and input your details correctly
- Your card will be ready in a few minutes
- Fund your account in order to activate your virtual card
Chipper Cash is an online banking platform that functions as a mobile app. It is easy to download and does the work of an actual bank as you can send and receive money from within and outside the country. Chipper Cash works by creating an account number for you which you can use for transactions.
The services of Chipper Cash are very swift and there are no service charges for the transactions made. This digital banking platform recently launched its virtual card which enables users to make online transactions without any long process. This card is to ease the process of transactions and online purchases. However, Chipper Cash has a withdrawal limit of $1000 daily and you can only deposit a maximum of $1000 into your card daily.
Before getting this card, there is some information you need to have in handy, and these include; email, phone number, BVN, and National Identification Number or Driver’s license.
Here are the steps to claiming your Chipper Cash card;
- Go to your Google Play Store or Apple Store to download the app
- You can use either your phone number or email to register
- For the verification process, you can make use of your email or phone number. The verification code will be sent to you via this means for account verification.
- Input the requested information
- Create a username for yourself
- Select your default transaction currency which is most preferably your country’s currency
- Set up a security code for your transaction and your account is ready
- Click on “Card” to activate your Chipper Cash virtual card
- Click on “Virtual Card”, Claim your virtual card and input your login details
- Tap “Continue” and your Chipper Cash Virtual Dollar Card is ready for use.
ALAT is a digital banking platform which is owned by Wema Bank. It was established to make payment and other banking transactions easier for customers. ALAT carries out services like opening bank accounts, savings, issuance of physical debit cards, loans, and lots more. They also offer Virtual Dollar Cards to customers.
This virtual card can be used for online transactions and international payments like Amazon, eBay, WordPress, Spotify, Netflix, Coursera, etc. Before acquiring this card, some vital information will be required from you by the platform, however, ALAT’s security is top notch and you have nothing to worry about. You will be charged 525 Naira every month as a Maintenance fee after creating your virtual card.
- Visit https://alat.ng or visit the Google Play Store or Apple Store to download the app
- Enter the requested information and create a password to sign up
- Input the verification code which you will receive and enter the necessary details into your account
- Your account will be set up within a few minutes
- Go to the dashboard and click on “Card” in order to get your virtual Dollar card
- Choose the “ALAT Virtual Dollar Card” and input your password or PIN for security
- Tap on the Dollar card and create your new ALAT Virtual Dollar Card
- Follow the instructions, input the required information and wait for a few minutes for verification then your virtual card is ready for use.
Barter by Futterwave is a digital banking platform which is owned by Flutterwave. It is easy and reliable. It is a mobile app created for convenience in the transaction making in Nigeria. It stores money in digital wallets and performs services such as money transfers, cryptocurrencies purchase, online trading, betting, etc
Barter also gives virtual cards to its users but creating a card in Barter is not free of charge. Your account must be funded with about $5 before you can get a virtual card. The card costs $2 and the monthly maintenance fee is $1. This virtual card can be used to perform online transactions conveniently.
- Go to your Google Play Store or Apple Store to download the Barter by Flutterwave app
- Enter the required information, you will also be required to input a referral code and contact information then sign up
- Go to the dashboard and click on “Add money” then find your account with a minimum of $5
- After funding the account, click on ‘New Card”
- Follow the instructions and your card will be ready in a few minutes
- Fund your card for full activation and your card is ready for use.
Fundall is also an online banking platform that provides great services for Nigerians. They offer different financial services to their customers ranging from savings, money transfers, bank accounts, loans, and lots more.
Fundall also gives out virtual Dollar cards to their customers to make online transactions convenient. With this card, you can make International payments on sites like Spotify, Apple, Amazon, Facebook, Udemy, etc. A minimum of $5 is required in order to create a Fundall Virtual Dollar Card.
- Go to the Google Play Store or Apple Store to download the Fundall app
- Enter the necessary information and sign up
- Enter the verification OTP sent to you to verify your account
- Fund your account with at least $5 and click on “Create Card”
- Choose “New Card” and click on “Virtual Dollar Card”
- After clicking on “Virtual Dollar Card” your card will be ready in a few minutes
- In order to fully activate your card, fund it with at least $5 for proper setup.
Owning a virtual card brings about a lot of conveniences as transactions can be carried out with ease. With the use of these cards, you are safe from the fear of theft and other vices as it is not a physical card. Virtual cards also make international payments more convenient as there will be no issue of rejected cards thereby making the process fast and easy.
Get your virtual card from an reliable virtual card provider to ensure security as there is a lot of information that can be used to render your account empty if it falls into the wrong hands. Go for a trusted provider with optimal customer service to attend to your every financial need and give prompt services.